Monday, September 3, 2007

Dazzling Dias

SUNIL D'CRUZ (Contributor)


In an interview with our writer in Muscat, Miss India-World Sarah-Jane Dias says she's all set to represent her country at the Miss World pageant in China.

MISS INDIA World Sarah-Jane Dias was recently on a week-long break to Muscat to visit her parents Eustace and Yolanda and sister Ellen-Rose. She had her hands full, hosting the 'Anup Jalota Live in Concert' show, attending functions meeting dignitaries, launching new vehicles and meeting her childhood friends.

At the age of 14, while at school in Muscat, she won the Miss India-Oman crown. Having won the Miss India-World 2007 title, the 24-year-old who loves music and travelling. is all set to represent India at the Miss World pageant in China.

Excerpts from an interview:

Having spent your childhood schooling in Muscat, how does it feel to be back on your first visit as Miss India-World?

It is an unreal feeling. As a child, I always had this dream, something that I would watch on TV. It's nice to come back home. Muscat will always be my home. It's nice to have friends and others coming to you, congratulating you, appreciating you. It's like a dream.

How are you preparing for the Miss World pageant?

The Miss World pageant will be held on December 1 in China. I will be leaving India for China on November 1. Right now, I am taking diction classes, catwalk classes and fitness classes in India. Everything that a Miss World contestant would need is taken care of, including hair and teeth by the experts. So I am fully equipped for the Miss World pageant.

What are the factors that contribute towards being a winner in a beauty contest?

It's not just beauty. One has to be very presentable, well spoken. But what surpasses everything is confidence.

What would be your advice to those having stage-fright?

Practice makes perfect. Keep facing the camera, keep participating, keep practicing. It will make you more comfortable.

Which of the former Miss Worlds from India, Reita Faria, Aishwarya Rai, Diana Hayden, Yukta Mookhey and Priyanka Chopra, do you look up to?

All of them. It takes a lot of courage and strength. I look up to any woman who has participated in a Miss World pageant.

You are a multi-talented personality. Singing, dancing, anchoring, acting and modelling are your passions. Which do you enjoy doing most?

(laughs) Don't make me choose. But I would say singing.

How would you look back on your stint as a VJ on Channel [V]?

It was the best job I ever had. I enjoyed every bit of the three-and-a-half years that I was on Channel [V]. They were very supportive all through and allowed me to leave the job at short notice to participate in the Miss India contest.

You are in an off-beat career, instead of a usual 9 - 5 job.

How do you look at it?

I would never be able to do a 9 - 5 job though I have the highest regard for those who do. I am a Sagittarian and am basically restless and need a change. Every day is different for me. No two days are alike.

Are you open to acting in movies?

Yes I am open to acting in Bollywood and Hollywood movies.

Who would you like to be marooned with on an island?

Bob Marley. Music is my life and will always be. Ever since I was a child, I just love music.

What are the causes would you like to take up should you win the Miss World crown?

Animals, children, senior citizens, Aids awareness. Global warming is reaching an alarmingly dangerous level. But one doesn't need to wear a crown to take up causes. I'd never say no if someone needs help.

Source: Khaleej Times Online

No comments: